cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Myers <phan...@stserv.hcf.jhu.edu>
Subject Re: [WARNING] Version migrations are a headache!
Date Thu, 13 Dec 2001 00:47:03 GMT
On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 01:09:14PM -0500, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> The problem comes with changing dependencies and classnames.  For example the
> SessionStateSelectorFactory has been renamed the SessionAttributeSelector.
> While the second is arguably a better name, please use deprecation so that
> users can be warned before the class is eliminated!
>
> Avalon Excalibur has a few classes which follow the following approach:
>
> /**
>   * @deprecated Use ExcaliburComponentManager instead!
>   */
> class DefaultComponentManager extends ExcaliburComponentManager{}
>
> This way the functionality is the same, but the user is pointed to the
> correct version gracefully.
>
> It is a number of issues like this, the constant rearranging of the core
> components, etc. that make moving between Cocoon versions a headache.
>
> I honestly think we have a few too many different types of core components,
> and it would be better if they were rearranged a bit.
>
> This is especially true since people have portions of the cocoon.xconf
> file that are specialized to their site!
>
> DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!
> *Any* time you add a new abstract method to an abstract class, or change
> an abstract method on an abstract class--that change is NOT BACKWARDS
> COMPATIBLE!
>
> I have some specialized actions that extend AbstractComplimentaryConfigurableAction
That would most likely be my fault... I wanted access to the environment passed in from the
sitemap to be accessible to the configure method.  a resolver (environment) needs to be passed
as the second arguement to AbstractComplimentaryConfigurableAction...  It was the solution
to what seems to be a longstanding problem of not being able to use configuration files relative
to subsitemaps.

Tim