cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ovidiu Predescu <ovi...@cup.hp.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Managing Flow and Resources
Date Mon, 10 Dec 2001 05:45:33 GMT
On Sun, 09 Dec 2001 22:00:03 +0000, MJ Ray <markj@cloaked.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> >I think not. DSSSL vs. XSLT is a good example of why the lisp-like
> >parenthesis syntax in the document-centric world is a bad idea.
>
> So DSSSL "lost" purely because of parentheses?  SGML vs XML had nothing to
> do with it?  I think you are over-simplifying.
>
> [...]
> >For example, try to finish the following strings so that the first is
> >well-formed Scheme and the second is well-formed XML:
>
> Personally, I find it a lot easier to finish the Scheme one, but it takes
> some getting used to, same as the XML does.  Your alternative layouts don't
> follow the coding standards, as you probably know.
>
> Anyway, I think most people have realised by now that this whole syntax
> thing is totally irrelevant to the real point that was being made, so I'll
> shut up.

Thanks for bringing a little realism to the issue of syntax. I noticed
people get too religious when it comes to their favorite
syntax/programming language/operating system/editor/you name it. In
many cases it's much easier to meet their habits by extending the
system, rather than arguing about what's better. Of course, the
extensions should not break the design, and should not be too much
work to do implement them ;-)

Best regards,
--
Ovidiu Predescu <ovidiu@cup.hp.com>