cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Koberg" <...@koberg.com>
Subject Re: Forrest (a.k.a. xml.apache.org 2.0)
Date Fri, 21 Dec 2001 13:16:15 GMT

> Consider using the unit pixel (px) instead of the unit point (pt) for font
> sizes, as this (I believe) ensures the closest possible similarity
> x-platform regarding font sizes.

this is extremely wrong. An inch on a mac screen contains far less pixels
(72?) than a windows pc screen (96?). The best cross-platform unit sizing
for good control is 'em'
-- so you will have wide variations between platforms if you use px.  In
addition your users cannot resize the text if they want to see it larger.

> Consider providing styles for the body text, Times is unsuitable IMHO.

Times is the default style. But yes, verdana is the best font for screen
use.  Serif  fonts(fonts with tails,  like Times New Roman) are not built
for the screen.

> Consider limiting the width of the body text, for ergonomic reasons.

the user can do this by themselves by resizing the browser. What if they
want narrower columns than you allow?

> Consider removing underlines from links in the sidebar and path (like you
> have in the tabs), IMHO they are obviously links, and are easier to read
> without the decoration, leave them on in the body text.

The only thing I have to say on this is that most people know when you see a
colored, underlined word or phrase that if clicked will take them somewhere
else. But I would be open to usability studies :)