cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <baro...@nicolaken.com>
Subject Re: Anteater and functional testing (Re: CVS HEAD broken; excalibur needs updating)
Date Thu, 13 Dec 2001 10:12:01 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Turner" <jeff@socialchange.net.au>
To: <cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 13, 2001 11:00 AM
Subject: Re: Anteater and functional testing (Re: CVS HEAD broken; excalibur
needs updating)

> On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 10:37:46AM +0100, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> >
> > From: "Jeff Turner" <jeff@socialchange.net.au>

> > get

> > > Not appropriate, I think. Cactus is for poking and testing internal
> > > classes running in the server. I just want to see if the pages come up
> > > okay (black-box testing, not white-box testing). Currently they don't.
> > > It would be great if Gump could alert people to this, instead of
suckers
> > > like me ;P
> >
> > Taken from cactus site:
> > <include>
> >       HttpUnit integration
> [..]
>
> Cleverly combining the heaviness of Cactus (you'd still need the
> server-side portion, I'd bet) with the relative uselessness of HttpUnit
> for XML testing (it is heavily HTML-oriented).

Ah, ok, you're right.
Html, not xml.

> (No offense to Vincent.. I hope he's not reading;)
>
> Give me a lightweight set of Ant tasks any day :) Try it.. I bet you'd
> agree.

Yes and no.
I would (personally) prefer a more complete solution in place, so
I would +1 on extending Cactus to assert and check on xml-output.
I think Cactus is needed anyay for serious testing of Cocoon, so
why keep two systems in place? One would not be used.

As for ant tasks:
<include>

This tutorial explains how start Cactus tests from your Ant build script
(i.e. build.xml).

The Ant tasks involved for running a Cactus test are the following :

    a.. Step 0 : (optional) Deploy configuration files for your container,
    b.. Step 1 : Package your Cactus tests as a WAR file and deploy it to
your servlet engine webapps directory,
    c.. Step 2 : Start your servlet engine if it is not already started,
    d.. Step 3 : Run the tests using JUnit,
    e.. Step 4 : Stop the servlet engine (if need be)
Cactus provides a custom Ant task (called the runservertests task) that
helps perform all these tasks. The rest of this tutorial will explain how to
write an Ant build file (build.xml) that performs these tasks and use the
Cactus custom Ant task.

</include>

Does it make sense?

Nicola Ken Barozzi These are the days of miracle and wonder...
                                ...so don't cry baby, don't cry
<xml-cocoon@nicolaken.com>                          Paul Simon