cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <baro...@nicolaken.com>
Subject Re: Anteater and functional testing (Re: CVS HEAD broken; excalibur needs updating)
Date Thu, 13 Dec 2001 09:37:46 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Turner" <jeff@socialchange.net.au>
To: <cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 13, 2001 10:30 AM
Subject: Anteater and functional testing (Re: CVS HEAD broken; excalibur
needs updating)

> On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 09:44:51AM +0100, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> > From: "Jeff Turner" <jeff@socialchange.net.au>
> > >
> > > PS, in case Ovidiu is reading: last I saw, Anteater was pretty usable.
> > > Anything happened since about a Cocoon unit testing suite? I can help
get
> > > something going..
> >
> > Cactus?
>
> Not appropriate, I think. Cactus is for poking and testing internal
> classes running in the server. I just want to see if the pages come up
> okay (black-box testing, not white-box testing). Currently they don't.
> It would be great if Gump could alert people to this, instead of suckers
> like me ;P

Taken from cactus site:
<include>
      HttpUnit integration

           The HttpUnit integration is only available for Cactus v1.2 and
later. It won't work with version 1.1 and earlier.

      Cactus test cases allow to assert the results of the returned server
output stream in an endXXX() method (where XXX is the name of your test
case).

      Cactus proposes 2 ways of writing your endXXX() methods,

          a.. Method 1 : it allows you to do simple check on the returned
stream like checking for returned cookies, HTTP headers and to do assertions
on the returned content as a String,
          b.. Method 2 : it allows you to do complex and powerful assertions
on the returned content. For example, you can get an HTML DOM view of your
returned HTML page and check that a given named table has the correct number
of columns, ....
      Method 2 is supported through the integration with HttpUnit, meaning
you'll benefit from the full assertion power of HttpUnit in your endXXX()
method. Method 1 is a class provided by Cactus.

      Depending on your need you can choose, on a per test case basis, the
method you want to use.

</include>

> Anteater is a bunch of Ant tasks for doing HTTP-based functional
> testing. Eg, hit a URL, get back the contents and test it in some way.
> There's predefined tests ("matchers"), like checking XML against an
> XPath expression, or a text against a regexp.
>
> http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Monitor/7464/anteater/

Cactus does it too.
And when Cactus is in place, other types of tests can be done.

Nicola Ken Barozzi These are the days of miracle and wonder...
                                ...so don't cry baby, don't cry
<xml-cocoon@nicolaken.com>                          Paul Simon