cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Vadim Gritsenko" <>
Subject RE: DB XPath URL syntax
Date Sun, 23 Dec 2001 04:03:15 GMT
> From: Gianugo Rabellino []
> Ciao,
> first of all thanks Vadim for adding the XPathQuery capability to the
> XML:DB pseudo protocol as well as for adding the xmldb.jar: this was a
> long awaited feature, and I could never find the time to fill in the
> gap, so your help was really appreciated here :) Besides, your patches

> also pointed me out a flaw in the AbstractSAXSource implementation: I
> fixed the getLastModified() so there is no need to override it from
> Source.
> Now, regarding the XPath stuff, I see that support was added
> everything that comes after the "?" character in the URL as the actual
> XPath being requested. I'm afraid that this might get us some troubles

That's was first shot, to test how it works. I found urlParameters and
"seized the moment" :)

> so I'd like to have a final word about this issue. When we discussed
> about it there were basically two suggestion:
> 1. use an "Xpointerish" syntax, e.g.
> 2. use an "xpath" parameter, e.g:
> xmldb:xindice:///collection?xpath=/my/XPath
> I like the first one best, since it's much cleaner in design: the only
> problem is that this syntax seems to suggest that an XPointer "query"
> being done, while what takes place is "just" plain XPath. The second
> is probably safer, but it seems to me a bit clumsy (not to mention
> we probably should do some sort of URL encoding on it, shouldn't we?).

I guess (1) also would require URL encoding, isn't it? But I also like
this first XPointer-like syntax better.

> Any suggestion? Should we run a vote on it? I'm also wondering if it
> might be the case to ask the XML:DB community to come up with a
> URL syntax for this case.

If I won't hear any objections, I will change code to use "#" :)

Another question: Is it possible to use XPath query on single resource,
not collection? I did not found a way yet... (Need to go to eye doctor
or API is not there? ;)