cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Quinn <jer...@media.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: WritableSource
Date Thu, 29 Nov 2001 14:48:25 GMT
At 1:55 pm +0100 29/11/01, giacomo wrote:
>On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Jeremy Quinn wrote:

[snip]

>> I have tried to turn the above into a pseudo sitemap snippet:
>>
>> 		StreamGenerator - picks up xml field, for a form with one xml blob
>> 			-=- or -=-
>> 		RequestGenerator - if you have individual fields to be made into xml
>>
>> 		ActionSet - Authorise the user, [lock the Source], Validate input
>> 			XSLT - set up SourceReadingTransformer tags,
>> 					 - Source ref from SiteMap; Request, Session, Action etc.
>> 					 - eg. context://, file://, xmldb://
>> 					    maybe even: resource://, sql://, ldap://, castor://, jaxb://,
>> ftp:// (??)
>> 			SourceReadingTransformer (also known as XInclude!)
>> 					 - reads in Source
>> 					 - reads in user response template
>> 					 - reads in new element template etc
>> 			XSLT - transform Source, updating it with the new content
>> 					 - the sitemap has chosen a specific stylesheet for the
>> 					    transformation required (add, edit, rename, delete, move etc)
>> 			SourceWritingTransformer
>> 					 - Sources need to implement WritableSource
>> 					 - eg. context://, file://, xmldb://, etc.
>> 			[Action - release Source] - may be part of WritableSource's behavior
>> 			XSLT - apply style to user response
>> 			Serialise
>> 		[Action - release Source] - may be part of WritableSource's behavior
>> 		XSLT - apply style to error response
>> 		Serialise
>
>Jeremy, you missed the point that Actions are executed immediately when
>selected by the sitemap engine whereas pipeline component are executed
>after collecting all of them to assemble a pipeline. Thus your sitemap
>snippet above won't work as expected. Your [Action - release Source] would
>be executed BEFORE the SourceWritingTransformer ever had a chance to
>write.
>
>You have to take into account that we have two different groups of
>components in the sitemap. An immediate executed group (Actions, Matchers,
>and Selectors) and those getting collected and assebled to form a pipeline
>(Readers, Generators, Transformers, and Selectors).

Oh Blimey! I really missed the plot on that one!

Thanks for pointing this out, funny what you miss, when you learn by just
poking around .....

But the point I was trying to make, as I think you understand, there needs
to be some sort of concurrency control for discrete assets, and maybe even
transaction control who knows.

[snip]

>> As we have the growing perception for the need for CMS etc., but no way to
>> generically write to a Source, each person's solution has to be hand coded,
>> and is often therefore not portable or reusable.
>
>Prowler?

Prowler is great, it just does not suit everybody.
It would be great to be able to link any of these mechanisms to Cocoon, 2 way.
Once we have the interfaces, hopefully people will write and contribute
them as they need them ....

regards Jeremy

                                                       webSpace Design
                                            HyperMedia Research Centre