cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Dreams for a useful database
Date Sat, 01 Dec 2001 01:59:10 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> 1) it should be possible to see it as a single persistent tree of DOM
nodes.

> 2) it should contain node-level version information and should provide
> a tagging concept (here, think as a parallel between CVS files and these
> DOM nodes).

FS alarm bells are going off in my head.  I'll spare you the details of my
background with versioned databases, but suffice it to say that IMHO the
overhead will kill you.

I'd recommend as some "light reading"
http://www.microsoft.com/LEARNING_TOOLS/books/sampchap/5800.asp .  If you
read their description of "blue" nodes you can immediately visualize the
indexing that such an arrangement permits.

Even this IMHO will result in a database only suitable for relatively
coarse grained access.  Here, your analogy w/CVS is right on the mark.

- Sam Ruby