cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@s-und-n.de>
Subject RE: [RT]: Restructuring the build system
Date Mon, 19 Nov 2001 14:30:05 GMT

Gianugo Rabellino wrote:

> > If we have a mechanism which is able to add something to the
> cocoon.xconf
> > and the sitemap, we should use this for the core components as well.
> > Rather then defining a sitemap which has all the component
> definitions in
> > it already, this will be assembled during the build. Same applies
> > to the cocoon.xconf.
>

> Sure thing. And now that I think about it, I'm wondering if we are
> trying once more to reinvent the wheel: since what we want to do is
> after all an XML transformation of two files, why don't we just write
> two stylesheets (say cocoon.xconf.xsl and sitemap.xmap.xsl) for each
> optional package? They should be trivial to write: if they are present
> the transformations will take place and modify the configs accordingly.
> This seems to me the cleanest and fastest way to achieve the result.
> What do you think?

So, the sitemap and cocoon.xconf are build-up from an base file which
is processed by several stylesheets. Hmm, this is an interesting idea!
One the one hand, I like it, because no java class has to be written
for it, no addition libs are needed etc.
One the other hand, the configuration of the optinal components is
done by a stylesheet. This might look a little bit wired.

But your stylesheet approach is a good idea! I'll think about it.

Carsten