cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Craeg K. Strong" <>
Subject Re: data goes in, data goes out
Date Fri, 30 Nov 2001 19:38:17 GMT
Jeremy Quinn wrote:

>At 11:55 am -0500 29/11/01, Craeg K. Strong wrote:
>>Jeremy Quinn wrote:
>>>Incedentally, I spent some time yesterday trying to work out if standard
>>>XUpdate transformation could be handled by an XSLT Stylesheet rather than
>>>written in Java. I suspect it would be extremely difficult, if not
>>>impossible. XSLT is not good at selecting, using dynamic XPaths (am I
>>Many XSLT processors have implemented evaluate()  Here is the doc:
>Thanks Craeg.
>I knew about this, but thought it could be construed as bad practice (slow,
>Is this so?
>regards Jeremy
Not in my experience,  I believe it is a very similar issue to comparing
stored procedures
to dynamic SQL.   You try to use stored procedures wherever you can,
but there are places where you _have_ to use dynamic SQL.   The
performance is usually not a problem,
because most RDBMS are tuned pretty well, as long as you take advantage
of indexes and avoid
multi-way joins, etc.    The same sorts of issues apply to evaluate(), I
believe.    If you have a halfway
decent xpath library, good architecture, and cache wherever possible,  I
doubt you'll notice any problems...

BTW, Saxon was our favorite for performance and functionality reasons...

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, email:

View raw message