cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <>
Subject Re: Cleaning up dist directory
Date Fri, 30 Nov 2001 16:02:35 GMT
Jeff Turner wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 06:33:23PM +0100, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> > Hi Team,
> >
> > I think we should either delete or move the old distributions (b1, rc1, rc2
> > etc).
> > We really don't want someone to download them. So I'm +1 on deleting or does
> > this produce any problem?
> How about moving them to an old/ directory instead?

> I don't think old distributions should *ever* be deleted, unless space
> limitations force the issue. Ever.

> Who knows why users may want to
> download old code? For example, *many* people have live sites based on
> RC2, and when Cocoon dies with a stacktrace, those people want to have
> RC2 source code to help debug the problem.

Absolutely agreed.
> Likewise with Cocoon 1. Some people have an *investment* in it. They
> don't want Cocoon 2, no matter how much better it is.
> A related issue: yesterday, became
>, breaking thousands of links.

Yes, we are aware of this but it's a price to pay for now (see below).

> understand the reason for this; the only problem is that when Cocoon 3
> arrives, everyone's URLs will break again. A nicer solution would be to
> have:
> and then use mod_rewrite to make reflect
> whatever is the current version.

Forget it! The Cocoon homepage *is*

We will never have other URIs, we'll keep all the documentation inside
and work more evolutionarely from now on (no big transitions).

> That way, people who really believe
> "Cool URIs don't change"[1] can point to a specific version of Cocoon,
> but casual users will see the latest version.

I'm the biggest evangelist of that paper. The mistake of creating
/cocoon2 was made when I wasn't around and big mistakes require big

Believe me, this won't happen again, but we needed to do it.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, email:

View raw message