cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Protocol based sources eliminates almost every generator [was Re: Showstoppers for 2.0 final was RE: [tale+rant] The 2.0 syndrome and [Vote]: Final Release Date]
Date Mon, 26 Nov 2001 16:39:32 GMT
Ugo Cei wrote:

> As far as I can see, these are the possible choices:
>
> - call my objects from an XSP page, specifying element names in XSP and
>    use <xsp:expr>myObject.getSomeField()</xsp:expr> for the values
> - like the above, but using a taglib for reusability
> - write a Generator
> - make my objects implement XMLizable and override toSAX
> - write a Transformer
> - write a Source (this I hadn't even figured until I read Giacomo's
>    mail)
>
> I'm really overwhelmed by the spectrum of choices and some guidance
> would really be helpful at this time :). What do you developers think?

Choice is power but sometimes is damaging, I resonate with Ugo's point
of view.

some comments:

1) the first mixes code with markup and it's considered harmful
2) the second is the suggested case
3) a generator is useful when you have lots of logic and small markup
that never changes and the parameters that drive this are not markup.
4) as the above but with markup driving the behavior

5) admittedly a Source and a Generator are very similar, so this is the
only clash.

Can we postpone this thread after the release?

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.