cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <rabell...@ksolutions.it>
Subject New committer introduction
Date Sat, 24 Nov 2001 17:03:40 GMT
Following the tradition of new committers giving a few lines of personal
bio, here is mine :)

My name is Gianugo Rabellino, I come from Varazze, a small town on the
Ligurian sea, I'm 32, I'm happily married and I live in Milan.

I started playing with computers at the age of 14, with a good old C64,
a solder gun and BASIC. Computers always played an important role in my
life, yet when I had to decide about the university I managed to get a
degree in law (please, don't ask me why) so I can be considered more or
less a lawyer. I never worked in the law field, though: I was struck by
Linux in 1993, started a Linux BBS and co-founded the Italian Linux
Society (http://www.linux.it) in 1994.

I started to be a computer professional around 1995 (as a consultant)
doing system administration and some Perl and PHP. I moved to Milan in
1998 to work at I.net, an italian business ISP, where I was doing system
and network administration and had a chance to learn C. From there I
moved again to Bibop Research: I was the CTO and one of my first task
was to find tools for the web publishing industry and develop a Content
Management System. I browsed the web and understood that XML was the way
to go. I found Cocoon and I sent a mail to Stefano: we met and I decided
to commit my further work to the Cocoon idea, even if I never wrote a
line in Java before that moment.

I had the lucky chance to work with Ricardo Rocha for a while, and I'll
never forget how much he taught me when he was in Italy (and, for that
matter, how much he's still teaching me from his "land of oblivion" :)).

I'm highly committed to the Open Source world: I never forget that if it
wasn't for the Open Source revolution and for those 21 floppies with
Linux 0.99pl13 I would probably be a lawyer. :)

I forgot to mention that I used to be an opera singer (a tenor,
actually), a fencer, a rock climber and a guitar player. But these
things are better discussed around a table and a beer :)

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino