cocoon-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Bernhard Huber" <>
Subject Re: let us get serious about 2.0 Final Release
Date Tue, 20 Nov 2001 18:09:31 GMT

About documentation in general, I would like to write something about 
the new
views, and about the sitemap elements map:aggregate, map:part, etc as
I have noticed that they are not described.
I will just post the plain text, or should I write it directly in the xml?
My english is not perfect so you surely have to review.....

>** Documentation, documentation, documentation
>- stop apologising for Cocoon 1
>- positive announcement.xml and index.xml 
>- both of those docs need a concise overiew at top
>(something less than half-a-page that convinces boss)
>- much of the documentation is old and still talks about
>Cocoon 1 configuration methods and issues
>- much documentation still has "Under construction" notices
>- people will turn away in droves
>** cocoon.xconf needs all parameters and components
>listed and briefly explained as internal documentation
>** The excellent document "How to Develop Web Applications"
>and the accompanying webapp.tutorial are missing from
>the cocoon_20_branch
>** Better stylesheet for
>- the slow response of the website will not allow 2.0 to
>make its impact.
I think the problem of the slow response is that neither html-pages, nor 
the images
has a LastModified, or Expires http-header. Setting the headers for the 
could be accomplished by modifiying the ResourceReader class.
Trying to speedup without modifying an source you might want to change 
the sitemap of
documentation setting an expires parameter:
For example setting an expires parameter values makes the resource to 
720000 will make the
resource valid for 1 hour, thus speeding up the loading of documentation 
pages the next 1 hour,
I think this would help as a first step to speed up the documentation pages:
The sitemap setting example:   <map:match pattern="**images/*.jpg">
    <map:read src="images/{2}.jpg" mime-type="image/jpeg">
      <map:parameter name="expires" value="720000"/>

   <map:match pattern="**images/*.gif">
    <map:read src="images/{2}.gif" mime-type="image/gif">
      <map:parameter name="expires" value="720000"/>

The ResourceReader documentation states:

 * The <code>ResourceReader</code> component is used to serve binary data
 * in a sitemap pipeline. It makes use of HTTP Headers to determine if
 * the requested resource should be written to the <code>OutputStream</code>
 * or if it can signal that it hasn't changed.
 * Parameters:
 *   <dl>
 *     <dt>&lt;expires&gt;</dt>
 *       <dd>This parameter is optional. When specified it determines 
how long
 *           in miliseconds the resources can be cached by any proxy or 
 *           between Cocoon2 and the requesting visitor.
 *       </dd>
 *   </dl>

Perhaps setting always a LastModifiedHeader will help too.

>Also the following issues are summarised at
>documentation/xdocs/plan/release.xml ...
>** We have many open bugs in bugzilla
>** Layout the distribution
>** Ensure that licensing requirements have been met
>** Decide what to backport from the 2.1 head
>>>>Subject: [C2.0] Should we set a date for 2.0 Final Release?
>>>>Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 14:55:15 +0200
>>>>From: Martin Man <>
>>>>Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>>>>>Ok, yes, I didnt check the calendar. Thanks for the hint!
>>>>>As I still prefer mondays, we should set the dates to
>>>>>5th November: RC2
>>>>>26th November: Final Release
>>>>yep, my +1 also for both dates, BTW: without looking to the
>>>>repository, do we have actualized TODO list... I mean critical
>>>>isuues (not including documentation) to fix ???
>>>>Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 14:37:57 +0200
>>>>From: "Carsten Ziegeler" <>
>>>>To: <>, <>
>>>>you're absolutely right. It's the same problem here.
>>>>Due to the many changes I would propose a RC2.
>>>>But we still need more documentation! So a good
>>>>date could be 1st of November for the RC2 and
>>>>end of november for the final release.
>>>>But whatever date we decide on for the final
>>>>release, we *should* stick to it.
>>>>Open Source Group                        sunShine - b:Integrated
>>>>Carsten Ziegeler, S&N AG, Klingenderstrasse 5, D-33100 Paderborn
>>>>                          mailto: 
>>>>Dims wrote:
>>>>>Should we set a date for 2.0 Final Release? (or the next Release 
>>>>>Candidate)? Am a bit tired of
>>>>>hearing from people (in my organization) that we cannot switch 
>>>>>from C1.X to C2.0 since it is in
>>>>>Beta/RC Cycle....
>>>>>Davanum Srinivas -
>>>To unsubscribe, e-mail:
>>>For additional commands, email:
>To unsubscribe, e-mail:
>For additional commands, email:

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, email:

View raw message