cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [read my leaps] One day Mozilla will rule!
Date Tue, 20 Nov 2001 12:21:18 GMT
Michael Hartle wrote:

> Yes, Mozilla is cool ;)
>
> >3) ah, the good old quest for separation of concerns between model view
> >and controller. Well, XUL is the model, CSS is the view, JavaScript is
> >the controller.
> >
> Some time ago I confused you by speaking of the "pure XML/CSS approach"
> in terms of providing a editable WYSIWYG view of XML content; this was
> what I tried to express :)

XML/CSS has the limitation that the XML-to-style must have the same
structure of the visual content. But, in my mind, the best way to do
editing would be to transform on the server side and style on the client
side. But once XSLT is more supported on the client, things might well
change.

> There are interesting projects at http://www.mozdev.org like mozOffice
> (http://mozoffice.mozdev.org/) , which tries to use the XPCOM components
> used in the Composer for providing editing capabilities; there sill seem
> to be some problems regarding the Composer-related components that have
> show-stopping capabilities for mozOffice and have been postponed
> somewhere beyond the 1.0 release.

Ouch, I'll look into that.  Unfortunately, my C++ skills are *very*
rusty after 6 years of Java programming :)

> I have been looking into the chrome which makes up the editor some time
> ago, but it yet *seems* to be somewhat restricted to HTML, and the XUL
> and JS files look definitely messy;

I just emailed the editor-team about the functionalities I wanted and
ask them if they are possible today or will be possible in the future.
I'll post updates here.

> some hours earlier, I tried to at
> least edit text in a XML file with CSS attributes which rendered fine,
> but without immediate success.

It won't be "easy", I know this. But I think it will be "worth it". This
is what I count on.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.