cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: DELI: Open source library supporting CC/PP and UAProf
Date Tue, 13 Nov 2001 22:49:11 GMT
"Butler, Mark" wrote:

> Stefano, Ovidiu
>
> RE: Licenses
>
> DELI is currently released open source under a BSD license - see
> http://www-uk.hpl.hp.com/people/marbut/deli/delilicense.txt
> As Ovidiu notes, DELI uses Jena, RDF-Filter and Sax2. Jena has also been
> developed by HP on an open source basis under a BSD license. RDF-Filter and
> Sax2 are both public domain.
>
> After some discussion, we have decided there would be no problem signing
> DELI over to Apache. My only concern is in the future we will want to
> integrate DELI with other projects - specifically Jetspeed. I'm interested
> to hear what you think would be the best way to do this - particularly as
> starting a subproject currently seems out of the question?

You need three things to propose a new subproject:

 1) a codebase that works
 2) at least two active developers coming from different affiliations
 3) an ASF member that sponsors and helps bootstrap the community

you definately have 1), but you don't have 2) and 3) (at the very
moment, at least!). This is why I think it would be good to "host" the
DELI community inside Cocoon for now until more people is directly
interested with it. At that point, you'll probably have all the
requisites to do it.

> For example if
> the copyright is signed over to ASF, can I still distribute just the DELI
> library component via my web page so people can include it in their
> servlets?

If you donate the code as "DELI" to the ASF, then you have to change the
name when you redistribute it. Or, you donate the code nameless and you
keep distributing it as DELI.

> It won't be possible for me to sign over Jena as I'm not the author -
> although as Ovidiu points out hopefully this shouldn't be a problem as
> C2 uses other libraries like JUnit.

Absolutely. But even using DELI as a library isn't a problem at all.

> I hope we can sort this out as I'm keen to collaborate! Also I'm very
> grateful for the enthusiastic response I've received so far. Cheers.

I see two possible way to collaborate:

 1) you write the glue code to DELI, we include it and DELI as a
library. You keep the stuff at HP, we get the functionality and you get
the visibility.

 2) you donate the DELI code to us and become an active developer of
this list to continue to improve on it.

IMO, at this very moment, option 1) is the simplest for all of us since
the important part, for me, is not the code, but the fact that we work
together. And this is achieved in both choices.

So, we just need to find the easiest entry path and 1) is probably the
best.

Of course, this doesn't rule 2) out, but when the time will come.

What do you think?

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.