cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Identifying Components for Avalon
Date Thu, 08 Nov 2001 13:55:06 GMT
David Crossley wrote:

> Cartsen wrote:
> > Hi,
> > let's start moving some Components to Avalon. We should first
> > identify which components we want to move, then add them
> > to Avalon and then discuss together with the Avalon team if
> > they need a redesign. When that is finished we have to
> > think of how we can reintegrate those components back into
> > Cocoon then.
> >
> > So let's start with a list of interfaces:
> >
> > - XMLConsumer
> > - XMLizable
> > - XMLFragment
> > - Parser
> > - XMLSerializer/XMLDeserializer
> > - XSLTProcessor
> >
> > And everything dealing with Source objects. This is the part
> > which needs redesign to fit into Avalon!
> > - SourceResolver
> > - SourceHandler
> > - SourceFactory
> > - Source
> > - ModifiableSource
> >
> > Implementations
> > - AbstractXMLConsumer
> > - JaxpParser, XercesParser
> > - XMLByteStreamCompiler/XMLByteStreamInterpreter
> > - Everything dealing with Source objects
> > - XSLTProcessorImpl
> >
> > Are there more? Or shouldn't we move one of those?
>
> There were two others identified in the previous thread:
> Donating Cocoon Components to Avalon - 30 Oct 2001
>
> - XPath

Already Done.

> - Resolver (Entity Resolver)
>
> Regarding Entity Resolver, there are some aspects that
> need to go into Avalon so that the capability is widely
> avaliable. Other aspects need to be configurable at
> the Cocoon level.

It would be reasonable for there to be an ExcaliburResolver,
and a CocoonResolver that both extend the same interface.
In fact, it would be reasonable for the CocoonResolver to
extend the ExcaliburResolver.

> Berin, is D-Haven suitable for documenting and identifying
> what needs to move between projects?

Not yet,  There is a lot of functionality which needs to
be put into D-Haven.  The Vision for D-Haven includes
News, How-Tos, Ideas, WhitePapers, and possibly
Design docs and Slide Shows.  The last two are distant
future because I am not sure how to attack that yet.
Along with the different doc types will be a bunch of
tools/meta-info which will help the peer review/communication
process.  Those tools will include comments, rating based
on relavance & inspiration (is it rehashed or new), a
pro/con management tool (very cool idea), testimonials
(real-world experience), and polling.

Since at the moment I have only 3 pages up, I have alot of
work to do--and only so much time to do it.  It is very
ambitious, and if _anyone_ wants to help make this happen
sooner I am open to the help.  It will be an eat your own
dog-food type of thing, so we will be using ExFormula, and
making it better.

It is _not_ easy balancing a full-time job, a part-time
business venture (that will hopefully replace the full-time
job in the future), family, friends, and all else I am
involved in.  I seem to move a million miles an hour
without getting anywhere.

I am thinking about opening up a sourceforge account for
portal components like the tools I meantioned above.  If
there is general interest, please contact me off the list.

> --David

"Those who would trade liberty for
 temporary security deserve neither"
                - Benjamin Franklin