cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Identifying Components for Avalon
Date Thu, 08 Nov 2001 13:41:48 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> let's start moving some Components to Avalon. We should first
> identify which components we want to move, then add them
> to Avalon and then discuss together with the Avalon team if
> they need a redesign. When that is finished we have to
> think of how we can reintegrate those components back into
> Cocoon then.
>
> So let's start with a list of interfaces:
>
> - XMLConsumer
> - XMLizable
> - XMLFragment
> - Parser
> - XMLSerializer/XMLDeserializer
> - XSLTProcessor

This all looks good.

I assume the XML (De)Serializer has to do with the byte stream
compiler?

> And everything dealing with Source objects. This is the part
> which needs redesign to fit into Avalon!
> - SourceResolver
> - SourceHandler
> - SourceFactory
> - Source
> - ModifiableSource

I would like to see the Source either become the Excalibur
Monitor Resource, or extend it in some way.  Check it out,
you may find it an interesting approach :)  Besides, it
provides for the system to be notified of changes rather
than constantly checking it.

> Implementations
> - AbstractXMLConsumer
> - JaxpParser, XercesParser
> - XMLByteStreamCompiler/XMLByteStreamInterpreter
> - Everything dealing with Source objects
> - XSLTProcessorImpl
>
> Are there more? Or shouldn't we move one of those?

WARNING:

The Source objects included in Cocoon are pretty Cocoon centric.
You might want to remove the URLFactory, and incorporate it's
functionality into the Source infrastructure.

--

"Those who would trade liberty for
 temporary security deserve neither"