cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <>
Subject Re: [RT] Integrating Cocoon with WebDAV
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2001 23:55:36 GMT
Per Kreipke wrote:
> > Look: XIndice is not dbXML moved to Apache, it's a new project "seeded"
> > with the current dbXML implementation so that users can take a look at
> > it and shape the further direction of the project.
> Uh, would love to look at it but I can't find it. Do you have a link to it?

Not yet there, coming soon :)

> > So, I totally agree that document-centric view sucks. IMO, a native XML
> > DB should be seen as ONE BIG XML DOCUMENT and then you have an XQL
> > frontend to query information and a WebDAV mapping backend so that
> > people can know if an element should be considered part of a directory
> > or part of a file.
> >
> > (this can easily be achieved with some namespaces attribute on an
> > element that states that it is a root element for a document)
> Ok. I can see that. Guess that means never use attributes to store
> meaningful information since they can't have their namespaces changed.

??? sorry I'm missing your point entirely.

> Hmm. I always have this conflict with myself: attribute or element?

There is no absolute design pattern for this (this has been bugging the
SGML world for ages), but in David Megginson's book about writing DTDs,
he says that you should consider using attributes if you are attaching
something to the element that can be at maximimum once and it's a
"attribute", an "adjective" something that paints the element with a
different color and specifies its status a little bit more.

Of course, there are cases, where the line is so thin that it's up to
the personal taste, but for example,

is much worse than

 <component name="mycomponent">

but have the exact same semantic meaning, and it's equivalently easy to
xslt-tranform or CSS-style it (yes, CSS matches attributes as well).

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, email:

View raw message