cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: [Vote]: Release Candidate 2
Date Mon, 05 Nov 2001 11:27:53 GMT

Carsten Ziegeler a écrit :

> Hi Team,
>
> we have the following outstanding task:
>
> Removing the CodeFactories completly from 2.0 and backport
> the new handling from the 2.1 head.
>
> I think we have some +1 for this, so should we really
> remove them now? I am asking this only for clarification
> as this would mean an incompatibility with the rc1.
>
> Carsten

Hi Carsten,

Compatibility problems are of two kinds, depending on what kind of code
factories are used by existing sitemaps.

- Cocoon's builtin code factories :
Compatibility can be ensured by rewriting them as classes that simply
extend their non-factory implementation (and of course mark them
deprecated). Since class names are kept as is, no change is required in
sitemaps.

- user-defined code factories :
There is no solution here, but I guess this concerns only a few advanced
users (code factories aren't easy to write) for which converting to
normal classes shoudn't be that hard.

So I would say +1 for removing CodeFactories now since support for them
will be dropped in the future and only advanced users will be impacted.
This is the price for living "on the bleeding edge" :)

Sylvain

--
Sylvain Wallez