cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Integrating Cocoon with WebDAV
Date Sat, 03 Nov 2001 11:54:53 GMT
Ulrich Mayring wrote:

> Rather I think Avalon/Phoenix
> are a better choice for the framework, they do not make nearly as many
> assumptions as the Cocoon framework does.

Much more after this, but this is vital: Ulrich, what you consider "many
assumptions" about Cocoon, I consider it "carefully designed vertical
framework".

Big difference.

You seem to suggest that you want to decomponentize Cocoon (a vertical
framework) entirely and place the components into Avalon (an horizontal
framework).

This is, IMO, a bad approach.

At the same time, as I said, it makes perfect sense to both:

 1) extract some of Cocoon components and move them into avalon since
they are "horizontal" enough. (XML Parser, XSLT processor, even
programming language generation or FO handling)

 2) encapsulate the Cocoon core engine into a block (if the
functionality and IoC design is not compromised) [but it may be
extremely tricky since we have to provide the Cocoon environemnt classes
into Avalon and this is going to be painful]

So, at the end, before we continue the WebDAV discussion I think we
should "not" fragment Cocoon or we'll destroy it.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.