cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <j...@socialchange.net.au>
Subject Re: Cleaning up dist directory
Date Thu, 29 Nov 2001 23:09:32 GMT
On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 06:33:23PM +0100, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Hi Team,
>
> I think we should either delete or move the old distributions (b1, rc1, rc2
> etc).
> We really don't want someone to download them. So I'm +1 on deleting or does
> this produce any problem?

How about moving them to an old/ directory instead?

I don't think old distributions should *ever* be deleted, unless space
limitations force the issue. Ever. Who knows why users may want to
download old code? For example, *many* people have live sites based on
RC2, and when Cocoon dies with a stacktrace, those people want to have
RC2 source code to help debug the problem.

Likewise with Cocoon 1. Some people have an *investment* in it. They
don't want Cocoon 2, no matter how much better it is.

A related issue: yesterday, http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/ became
http://xml.apache.org/cocoon1/, breaking thousands of links. I
understand the reason for this; the only problem is that when Cocoon 3
arrives, everyone's URLs will break again. A nicer solution would be to
have:

http://xml.apache.org/cocoon1
http://xml.apache.org/cocoon2
http://xml.apache.org/cocoon3

and then use mod_rewrite to make http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/ reflect
whatever is the current version. That way, people who really believe
"Cool URIs don't change"[1] can point to a specific version of Cocoon,
but casual users will see the latest version.

--Jeff

[1] http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI.html