cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ovidiu Predescu <ovi...@cup.hp.com>
Subject Re: DELI: Open source library supporting CC/PP and UAProf
Date Thu, 08 Nov 2001 00:46:26 GMT
On Thu, 08 Nov 2001 01:16:42 +0100, Stefano Mazzocchi <stefano@apache.org> wrote:

> > DELI is released under a BSD-type license so hopefully this shouldn't cause
> > any problems.
>
> Great. But you should sign the paper that give the ASF copyright of the
> code (we can talk about that privately afterwords).

Oops, I'm not sure this was Mark's original intent, but I'm sure he'll
clear this tomorrow.

The way I read his original message is that the code is copyrighted by
HP, but licensed under a BSD license. Which means Apache could use it
without any problem. I didn't read Mark message as a donation of DELI
to Apache, but again maybe this was his intent.

Along the same line, notice that it's not only DELI, but other
projects as well, like JENA and the RDF processor, which DELI depends
on. The last one is public domain, but Jena is copyrighted by HP, yet
licensed under a BSD license.

Personally I don't see any problem for Apache to make use of both DELI
and Jena, even if they're copyrighted by HP, as they're both under a
BSD license. This is exactly the same situation with other libraries
Cocoon depends on, like jstyle, junit, resolver, hsqldb, bsf, tidy,
which all have compatible licenses. They are all owned by some entity
other than Apache, yet it's possible to be used by Apache because of
the license.

Mark, please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

> > One issue is whether we fork DELI to include it with C2 or it
> > exists as a plug-in. This might be advantageous as then it could be
> > incorporated into other projects e.g. Jetspeed. Any thoughts?
>
> I would place it in Cocoon first and maybe then move it into an avalon
> component or in its own subproject if found necessary.

As Mark suggested already, I think it would be better for DELI to be a
full project at Apache XML, and not a subproject of some other
project. This way DELI could be used by other projects no matter they
use Avalon, Cocoon or what not. Of course for this to happen, we need
HP legal's approval.

Mark, I could help you get in touch with the right people at HP that
can clear things out. I would love to see DELI as a project at Apache!

> > I've got time to put in the integration as well, but I'm a totally
> > newbie to Cocoon-dev so any advice is greatly appreciated.
>
> I'm overwelmed! Big time! But you definately look like a guy that
> knows what he does so, I'm definately +1 in accepting your code
> donation overhere and propose you for commit access so that you can
> take care of that yourself. (I suspect not many people here would be
> able to do it without the knowledge you already have about the
> problem).
>
> So, guys, place your vote: do you want to accept Mark donation and have
> him help us with this directly giving him commit access?

Here's my +1!

Ovidiu