cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ovidiu Predescu <ovi...@cup.hp.com>
Subject Interpreted sitemap [was Re: Jo! & WAR file apps]
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2001 20:42:35 GMT
Sylvain,

On Tue, 06 Nov 2001 17:42:20 +0100, Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wallez@anyware-tech.com>
wrote:

> Also, if you find the sitemap "too proprietary", you can write your own
> pipeline assembly language : the sitemap has recently been decorrelated
> from the Cocoon class so that you can use your own implementation of
> Processor : I'm currently writing a new interpreted implementation of
> the sitemap that could be the foundation of future other pipeline
> assembly languages.

This sounds very interesting, can you give us some hints on your
approach? I've been thinking to start working on such a beast for a
while, but was busy with other stuff at work.

One of the my requirements for this re-implementation is to allow
things other than SAX events to flow on the pipeline. I'm specifically
thinking of Java objects that could represent the incoming HTTP
request as an object, for unorthodox types of processing. Of course
the interfaces of the components in the pipeline have to be compatible
for such an approach to work.

My thoughts were to take the Ant XML->Java conversion engine, extend
it to use the SAX2 API, and create Avalon components that represent
the pipeline. The Ant engine is indeed a very simple, yet powerful and
extensible way to create a hierarchy of Java objects from an XML
document.

Could you describe a bit your approach?

Regards,
--