cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Greg Weinger" <>
Subject RE: ParentComponentManager & config files
Date Fri, 02 Nov 2001 20:28:42 GMT
> > 	I had thought that using cocoon's CM to manage my application's
> > 	components was the wrong thing to do, because it required
> > modifying the
> > 	cocoon.xconf and cocoon.roles files - part of cocoon and not our
> > 	application. Was this assumption false ?

I agree, from a maintenance perspective.  You can keep your roles
separate in a user.roles file, referenced from the attribute <coocon
user-roles="path/to/user.roles"> but there is no standard way I know of
to keep your configurations separate, even if you are just "extending"

> Looks fine to me, BUT: I wonder if there is a way to go "all the way",
> honor all lifestyle interfaces Avalon has bu hijacking a
> from Excalibur or something. I have the feeling that we're currently
> re-implementing a ComponentHandler step by step... Maybe that'd be
> but then you have to initialize the ComponentHandler, etc... OK, it
> fine to me. Period.

I also was hoping to use the ParentCM so that Cocoon would be "embedded"
by a parent Avalon application.

So far you're talking about Cocoon managing its parent CM.  Is there a
way for Coccon to grab a reference to an existing PCM from another
application?  JNDI?  A singleton?  Any other approaches?

Does anyone have any info on the attempt to make an Avalon block out of

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, email:

View raw message