cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Neeme Praks" <ne...@apache.org>
Subject RE: x:forge remarks
Date Sun, 14 Oct 2001 02:49:25 GMT

[...]

> As i said before, i'd like to mantain and improve x:forge and, if the
> community consider
> it a possible alternative to XSP, to offer you a full support to
> understand and modify it.
>
> I'll be very happy if the community will help me to improve the code :-)
>
> For all of them that hasn't seen it and are interested take a look at
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/xforge/
>
> Please send me any suggest.

Being quite familiar with the XSP, I decided to go and have a look at
x:forge as well (after so heavy marketing :-) ).
Some things were not really clear to me and maybe someone can clarify these:
>From the examples on the website, it seems to me that x:forge is a very
"simple" system that allows the user to embed a "simple" output to the XML
page. It lacks more "advanced" logic constructs like loops, conditional
statements and such, right? So, if the user needs to use such features,
he/she would need to write such logic inside the toSAX() method of the
component, right? Meaning that the user has to write the SAX
event-generation code by hand (or use some utility to generate that part of
the code, as it is very error-prone to write that by hand).

So, as much as I understand, instead of mixing Java code with XML (the XSP
approach), x:forge forces the user to mix XML with Java code (generating SAX
events in Java)? Are there any advantages of one over the other (other than
taste :-) )?

Sorry, if I misundertood something...

Neeme