cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@sundn.de>
Subject AW: Configuration of SourceFactories
Date Tue, 16 Oct 2001 09:00:57 GMT
Hi Gianugo,

> Gianugo Rabellino wrote:
>
> Ciao,
>
> I finally sat down and started to write some code to implement an
> xmldb:// pseudo-protocol to access XML:DB data inside Cocoon.
>
> I understand that, since this is not a JDK supported protocol, I have to
> implement a SourceFactory and return a Source, but looking at
> SourceHandlerImpl I saw that SourceFactories are assumed not to be
> Configurable (they can be Composable, Contextualizable and Loggable, but
> there's no way, at least as far as I can tell, to pass a Configuration
> object to them).
Yes, sadly this is true!

> Is there any particular reason for this? I'd really need to pass
> configuration data to them, but I see no way (apart from changing
> SourceHandlerImpl) to do it. Am I missing something? If I got the point,
> how about making SourceFactories configurable?
The main reason is that there was no need for it until now...
So you're welcome to send a patch for this to extend the
SourceHandlerImpl with this feature :-)

> Also, I would like to make the pseudo-protocol optional, but again I see
> no way to edit cocoon.xconf as I can do with the sitemap via "st". I'm
> wondering if it might be useful to write a different tool (maybe another
> Ant task?) using XUpdate so that it would be possible to change any XML
> file.
Yes, same applies here. The "st" tool is in fact another hack
which should be rewritten if someone has time to do it.
A general ant task sounds great, although this should be then be integrated
directly into ant rather than into Cocoon.
Could you please give some pointers to XUpdate. I found the specification,
but no implementation.

Carsten