cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@sundn.de>
Subject The Problems with Sitemap Factories
Date Fri, 12 Oct 2001 08:22:35 GMT
Hi Team,

I would like to propose that we get rid of the sitemap factories,
the selector and matcher factory.

I see at least three reasons for this:
- If you want to use a matcher factory inside a subsitemap,
  you currently MUST redefine it in the subsitemap as it is
  not "inherited" from the parent sitemap. This is true
  of course also true for selectors (I entered this already
  in bugzilla).
  Using matchers and selectors in subsitemaps becomes very
  error prone as you always as a sitemap editor have to be
  aware if it is *implemented* as a factory or not. I think
  the sitemap editor does not have to know about such technical
  details.
- The factories are hard to code. Java code generated from strings
  is not so easy to write.
- This is needed for the new RT, like the recent Tree traversal approach

So I'm +3 on removing the factories and this even for the final release!

Carsten