cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <>
Subject AW: [RT]: Session support
Date Mon, 08 Oct 2001 09:43:36 GMT
> Torsten Curdt wrote:
> > Hi Team,
> >
> > I think it's time for a new here we go:
> >
> > Cocoon 2 supports session handling. Mainly this is a feature
> > supported by the servlet engine and Cocoon simply uses it.
> >
> > However, writing real world applications requires a little
> > bit more effort than necessary when it comes to url rewriting.
> > If your servlet engine uses url rewriting and not cookies,
> > every url has to be rewritten. Unfortunately this has to
> > be done manually!
> > I would like to have it automatically (at least for html)!
> > What I thought of is enhancing the html serializer, so that
> > he rewrites urls (links etc) if necessary. Unfortunately
> > this is not possible, as the serializer does not get the
> > objectModel!
> I don't think this is a media dependent need so I don't think
> this should happen in a serializer.
In some way it is media dependent, as the media determines the
format (html, wml etc) and this format specifies what has to be
The other reason for using the serializer is transparency. You
don't have to care about url rewriting. Simply build your pipeline
as usual and Cocoon takes care of when to url rewrite and when not.

> > So a working solution could be a simple transformer before
> > the serializer which does exactly this.
> We have done something similar:
>   <dlink:link uri="somehting">
>     <dlink:parameter name="parameter" value="thevalue"/>
>     Link
>   </dlink:link>
> The dlink transformer adds the constructed URL to the dlink:link
> tag. Since this happens in a transformer we can also encode the URL.

Yes, we did the same, too. And I bet, many others did it as well
with their own transformer.
The bad think of transformers is: you have to use it (which means
you have to include it in your pipeline).