cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@sundn.de>
Subject AW: LinkAlarm for xml.apache.org/cocoon2/
Date Mon, 15 Oct 2001 13:57:11 GMT
> David Crossley wrote:
>
> As part of our company's contribution to the wonderful
> Apache Cocoon, we are going to pay for automated
> regular link verification of the website at
> xml.apache.org/cocoon2/

Great! And a very good idea, too!

> Of course, it is up to all of cocoon-dev to actually fix
> the links - IndexGeo will help to identify them.
> The first report is available at:
> http://reports.linkalarm.com/209176687132/
>
> I find that the easiest way is to use the left-hand panel
> to go directly to the error listings. e.g. "404 File Not Found".
> Also, links.broken.txt is useful and very direct. You can also
> download a copy of the full report, if you find online
> browsing to be a pain too.
>
> The next run would be after RC2 - though it could be run
> sooner if an interim docs upload is deemed necessary.

I think we cannot upload the docs at the current state. We need
more work there (unfortunately), so it might be that this
will happen after rc2.

> This run also covered cocoon2/javadocs/
> Next run will probably be excluding that, which will
> bring the total number of pages down.

I'm +1 on including that.

> Some strange errors are extracted below. The remainder
> are normal broken links.
>
> 1) missing images/dot.gif ... from many docs
> probably a stylesheet issue
> -----
> http://xml.apache.org/cocoon2/images/dot.gif
> http://xml.apache.org/cocoon2/
> 404     Not Found
> -----

Yes, this might be a stylesheet problem. As we now
use Cocoon itself for document generation, this should
be gone. In addition I added it to the xml.apache.org
site.

> 2) strange link to email address ...
> here is one example out of 8:
> -----
> http://xml.apache.org/cocoon2/apidocs/org/apache/cocoon/reading/bl
> oritsch@apache.org

http://xml.apache.org/cocoon2/apidocs/org/apache/cocoon/reading/DatabaseRead
er.html
> 404     Not Found
> -----
This is caused from missing mailto: references in the authors href tags.
I added it to those which were reported, so if we update
the docs they should disappear, too.

>3) xsp-internals.html has many broken links to javadocs
>e.g.
>-----
>http://xml.apache.org/cocoon2/javadocs/org/apache/cocoon/generators/Generat
or.html
>http://xml.apache.org/cocoon2/xsp-internals.html
>404     Not Found
>-----
This should be fixed!

>4) there is an amazing amount of mailto: links identified.
>Is this really necessary?
This should be mainly due to the javasdocs. Each javadoc has at least one
mailto
for the author. So this is necessary.

Carsten