cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ulrich Mayring <u...@denic.de>
Subject Componentizing Cocoon (philosophy)
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2001 09:54:00 GMT
Hello folks,

I've developed a few in-house apps in the past with Cocoon1. When
Cocoon2 came along, I saw that porting my apps over to Cocoon2 would be
quite a bit of work and Cocoon2 didn't fit into our IT architecture as
well as Cocoon1. So I decided to try a different solution and turned to
Avalon. By now many of our in-house backend services run under
Avalon/Phoenix as .sar applications and we've committed ourselves to
that server platform.

Now I'm starting to think how to bring Cocoon back into the picture. I'd
like to componentize Cocoon into Avalon blocks, and assemble these
blocks into a .sar application called e.g. "MyCustomCocoon". This custom
Cocoon does not do everything the full-blown Cocoon2 does, for example
we've developed our own database abstraction layer, which runs as a
server application under Phoenix - so we would not need Cocoon's esql.
We would not need the Sitemap and probably not even HTTP. There are a
few interesting developments in the Avalon project, so we will at one
point have an HTTP server running under Phoenix and this HTTP server
could easily use the custom Cocoon for doing XML/XSLT stuff. Also I
venture that this might be much faster than connecting a regular HTTP
server with a servlet engine over the ajp protocol and have the servlet
engine invoke Cocoon via JSDK.

So, my idea is that this custom Cocoon is a kind of "XML service and
frontend provider". Now, before we duplicate any efforts, are there
plans for Cocoon to move into a direction, where it becomes a set of
components that can be assembled into custom applications?

cheers,

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring