cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject ThreadSafe Parser
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2001 09:11:29 GMT
Hi team,

After seeing the recent changes to Parser, I wondered why this component
cannot be ThreadSafe. The answer is simple : Parser extends XMLProducer
and thus setConsumer() must be called before parse().

Searching for Parser use in the sources, I found that it doesn't seem to
be used as an XMLProducer, but always as a Parser, and that the two
calls setConsumer() and parse() always come together.

So, what about a stateless interface for parsing, which would simply
mean moving the XMLConsumer parameter from setConsumer() to parse() ?

interface StatelessParser extends DOMFactory {
  void parse(InputSource source, XMLConsumer consumer);
  void parse(InputSource source, ContentHandler ch);
  Document parseDocument(InputSource is);
}

Since XML parsing is widely used, this would be a step further for
speeding up Cocoon.

Thoughts ?
--
Sylvain Wallez