cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Problems with C2 and Tomcat 3.3
Date Thu, 25 Oct 2001 19:47:23 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Berin Loritsch wrote:
> >
> > Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > does anyone have problems with the latest Tomcat 3.3, too?
> > >
> > > Everything is working fine, until you change the sitemap.
> > > The sitemap is correctly regenerated, but the loading of
> > > the compiled class seems not to work.
> > > No exception or warning occurs, but after
> > > the regeneration the old class is still used.
> > >
> > > Any hints?
> >
> > I experience this as well.  It might be related to container
> > classloader issues.  I.e. does Tomcat 3.3 use the work directory
> > for JSP pages?  If so, than it is reasonable to assume that
> > Tomcat 3.3 is the culprit with a defective classloader.
> >
> Can we do anything to make it work? Or do we need to pass this
> on to the Tomcat developers?

The only thing we personally could do is break the Servlet spec,
and assign our own work directory.  I am -1 on that.  By all means,
let's assign this to Tomcat developers.

There is a possibility that it might start working again if we had the
compiled classes in a subdirectory like ${work}/cocoon-classes.
This means the packages do not apply to the root of the work directory,
and *hopefully* Tomcat's classloader won't find them.

If that doesn't work, we are at Tomcat's mercy.