cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Marcano <ro...@promca.com>
Subject Memory usage problem
Date Tue, 23 Oct 2001 13:56:39 GMT
I haven't used Cocoon2 for about three months, and for the first time I need to generate a
PDF file with data retrieved using SQL. My question is related to memory usage when using
large xml structures.

I generated a xml file using XSP and the ESQL stylesheets (a table with 1336 records) in order
to try to isolate the problem source, this static file was saved and I copied it multiple
times with diferent names to my web application in order to transform them with a XSL styleshhet
to the XSL:FO namespace (a simple table with 3 columns), and serialized it with "fopdf"

This is the sitemap fragment used:

	<map:match pattern="*.pdf">
		<map:generate src="{1}.xml"/>
		<map:transform src="stylesheets/prr2fo.xsl"/>
		<map:serialize type="fo2pdf"/>
	</map:match>

I replaced the pipelines in cocoon.xconf with the NonCaching alternatives. When i access the
first pdf file, it is generated and the heap grow to about 60Mb of RAM, when I access another
one it grows near 40Mb, and it continues to grow with each new pdf request. The free JVM memory
always remains low (around 10 or 15 Mb) so the memory is not reclaimed with garbage collection.

I don't know what may be causing my problem, but if I'm not using caching pipelines, this
Cocoon2 behavior is not normal.

Note: I'm using Cocoon2rc1

Thanks in advance

--