cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: The Problems with Sitemap Factories
Date Wed, 17 Oct 2001 08:31:44 GMT

Carsten Ziegeler a écrit :

> > Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> >
> > Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Team,
> > >
> > > I would like to propose that we get rid of the sitemap factories,
> > > the selector and matcher factory.
> > >
> > > I see at least three reasons for this:
> > > - If you want to use a matcher factory inside a subsitemap,
> > >   you currently MUST redefine it in the subsitemap as it is
> > >   not "inherited" from the parent sitemap. This is true
> > >   of course also true for selectors (I entered this already
> > >   in bugzilla).
> > >   Using matchers and selectors in subsitemaps becomes very
> > >   error prone as you always as a sitemap editor have to be
> > >   aware if it is *implemented* as a factory or not. I think
> > >   the sitemap editor does not have to know about such technical
> > >   details.
> > > - The factories are hard to code. Java code generated from strings
> > >   is not so easy to write.
> > > - This is needed for the new RT, like the recent Tree traversal approach
> > >
> > > So I'm +3 on removing the factories and this even for the final release!
> >
> > +1, whatever makes it easier to write subsitemaps I'm all for it.
> >
> > Let's start removing the code compilation thing.
> >
> So any volunteers? We should first change the cvs head, test if
> everything is fine and then back porting it to the 2.0 branch.
>
> Carsten

I'd like to volunteer on this : I'm really interested in this subject,
along with the future developments it will allow (flowmap, transparent
transformers for link rewriting, etc).

However, I don't have so much spare time so it won't be very fast : I'm
targetting beginning of november.

An initial step will be to add the new PreparedMatcher we have formerly
discussed of to replace CodeFactory. This will allow to quickly
introduce API changes within the current compiled sitemap so that people
can start using them and be ready when the tree traversal implementation
will be finished.

There's another point on which we still didn't came to a clear decision
: what about making the SourceResolver available to matchers and
selectors ? Can't it be simply added to the ObjectModel ?

Sylvain.
--
Sylvain Wallez