cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AW: cvs commit: xml-cocoon2/src/org/apache/cocoon Main.java
Date Tue, 16 Oct 2001 15:28:02 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> > Berin Loritsch wrote:
> >
> > cziegeler@apache.org wrote:
> > >
> > > cziegeler    01/10/16 06:04:57
> > >
> > >   Modified:    src/org/apache/cocoon Main.java
> > >   Log:
> > >   Added checking for duplicate urls
> >
> > So why the change from Set to List?  If you have to do all this extra
> > stuff, the code becomes less readable and maintainable.  The performance
> > gain can't be that great.
> >
> No, it has nothing to do with performance. And yes, it is less readable,
> but it is natural that if you specify more than one url using e.g. a file,
> that these urls are processed exactly in the order they were specified
> and not in any arbitrary order. And thats exactly why a List is better
> than a Set.

I see.  I wasn't aware that site generation had to be done in any particular
order.  If the result at the end of the generation is the same whether you
use a Set or a List, I don't see the advantage.  (I am playing devil's advocate).

If you run into errors due to the order of processing, I could understand--
then again I would want to know why there was an order enforced in the beginning.
Basically all we are doing is treating the CLI version like the Servlet version.
Requests can come in any order.

My only point is this, a lot of work went into a minor change that could have
been spent on some of our more major issues.  I wouldn't back out the change
now, though.