cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <>
Subject Re: AW: [RT]: Session support
Date Tue, 16 Oct 2001 13:00:16 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> The serializer needs to know if a url must be rewritten or not. This
> depends on information contained in the current request object. So
> there is always the dependencies to other information than the input.

hmmmm, I disagree: is the transparent transformer that must evaluate
xlinks, not the serializer. Thus, the serializer doesn't need (nor
should!) any other information than the input.
> I like the idea of a transparent transformer. But how can Cocoon detect,
> if this transformer should be used? This depends on the used serializer!

It should not.

> Asume, the user has a session and this is detected using url
> rewriting. The user request a html page, this results in using
> the transparent transformer and the html serializer. Now the
> user requests the source of an xsp page. This results in not
> using the transformer and in using the xml serialiuer. And so on.
> So I think there is a dependency between a serializer and the
> transparent transformer in
> a) When to use the transparent transformer
> b) What this transformer has to transform (the list of attributes
>   containing links)
> So this would end up in coding this logik into the serializer
> and we have the same problem, again.

Sorry, but I don't get it: if you instruct the sitemap engine to append
a transparent link-evaluating transformer to every pipeline right before
the serializer, you get what you want. Really, I don't see the problem.

> For the current caching implementation, there is no real difference
> wheter a transparent transformer right before the serializer or
> the serializer itself changes the data.
> In case of url rewriting the pipeline would be cached right before
> the transparent transformer or the serializer, and in the case
> of no url rewriting the whole response would be cached.

I still believe that serializers are somewhat special components and
should not have a side entry for data.... also because I believe that
serializers should be removed from pipeline definitions... but this is
another story.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, email: