cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Flowmaps revisited
Date Mon, 15 Oct 2001 13:18:19 GMT
Jason Foster wrote:

> The more I think about it, the more I think that there are two distinct
> aspects to Cocoon.  The first is the underlying plumbing (Generators,
> Transformers, Serializers), based exclusively on the decision to use a
> cached SAX stream.  The second part is the mechanism that links the plumbing
> together (Sitemap, Flowmap).

Yes. This is correct. Call it internal SoC, if you wish.

> I'm about ready to propose that Cocoon should *not* impose any particular
> way of connecting things, in the same way that we don't impose any
> particular way of generating SAX events.

In that respect, Berin already proposed to make the sitemap engine
pluggable. This, in short, means to have a pluggable "pipeline plumber".
I think this is still a good idea. But...

> It would be really cool to allow
> people to use State Machines, Inference Engines, JavaScript, Python, the
> Sitemap, or any other thing they can dream up to connect the basic
> components.  Sort of like "Avalon for XML"?

... flexibility syndrome: Cocoon and Avalon are already complex enough
for people to start with, if we don't even give them the ability to
assemble their pipelines in a simple way, nobody is ever going to do
anything with it since the entry curve is way too steep.

But, again, I agree that a pluggable plumber is definately a good thing
from an architectural view just as we provide you the ability to write
your own generators, but then we give you XSP to help you on 80% of your
needs.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.