cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: LinkAlarm for xml.apache.org/cocoon2/
Date Mon, 15 Oct 2001 12:29:11 GMT
David Crossley wrote:

> As part of our company's contribution to the wonderful
> Apache Cocoon, we are going to pay for automated
> regular link verification of the website at
> xml.apache.org/cocoon2/

Uh, that's nice! We should setup a credits page for these sort of
donations.

> Of course, it is up to all of cocoon-dev to actually fix
> the links - IndexGeo will help to identify them.
> The first report is available at:
> http://reports.linkalarm.com/209176687132/

Again, this should be written someplace in CVS so we don't forget.

> I find that the easiest way is to use the left-hand panel
> to go directly to the error listings. e.g. "404 File Not Found".
> Also, links.broken.txt is useful and very direct. You can also
> download a copy of the full report, if you find online
> browsing to be a pain too.
>
> The next run would be after RC2 - though it could be run
> sooner if an interim docs upload is deemed necessary.
>
> This run also covered cocoon2/javadocs/
> Next run will probably be excluding that, which will
> bring the total number of pages down.
>
> Some strange errors are extracted below. The remainder
> are normal broken links.
>
> 1) missing images/dot.gif ... from many docs
> probably a stylesheet issue
> -----
> http://xml.apache.org/cocoon2/images/dot.gif
> http://xml.apache.org/cocoon2/
> 404     Not Found
> -----
>
> 2) strange link to email address ...
> here is one example out of 8:
> -----
> http://xml.apache.org/cocoon2/apidocs/org/apache/cocoon/reading/bloritsch@apache.org
> http://xml.apache.org/cocoon2/apidocs/org/apache/cocoon/reading/DatabaseReader.html
> 404     Not Found
> -----
>
> 3) xsp-internals.html has many broken links to javadocs
> e.g.
> -----
> http://xml.apache.org/cocoon2/javadocs/org/apache/cocoon/generators/Generator.html
> http://xml.apache.org/cocoon2/xsp-internals.html
> 404     Not Found
> -----
>
> 4) there is an amazing amount of mailto: links identified.
> Is this really necessary?

I think this is mostly due to the changes.xml file that gets
transformed. A simple stylesheet change will get rid of these.

Thanks much for this, it is very appreciated.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.