cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Henne <>
Subject Re: AW: [RT]: Session support
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2001 09:44:51 GMT

Ovidiu Predescu wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Oct 2001 17:49:25 +0200, Joerg Henne <> wrote:
> > Bernhard Huber wrote:
> > >
> > > You are right about the WML redirect troubles.
> > > To some degree you may avoid that by using cocoon Actions,
> > > avoiding using redirects.
> > > I'm not saying that WML redirect can be avoided completly,
> > > but you may try to avoid using redirects, as much as
> > > possible and using Actions to handle some sort of
> > > action if some application constraints are not met.
> >
> > our "solution" was to use fake redirects for WAP: WML pages containing only an
> > empty card with an event handler "onenterforward" which issues a <go>.
> > However, this is not very satisfying as it requires lots of additional stuff
> > in the sitemap.
> As part of a solution I had implemented some time ago I used a multitude of
> techniques to deal with session support on WAP devices.

we read your paper on WAP with Cocoon. Very interesting stuff, indeed!

> If the above two solutions failed, we reversed to the URL rewriting, which as
> noted earlier, is not only bad from the cache perspective on the server side,
> but it also occupies a lot of the precious memory available on the WAP device.

Well, the funny thing is that this doesn't seem to be entirely true, due to
the fact that the WML gateway performs a peculiar kind of compression on the
data. We have the situation that we have a large(ish) list of links which all
point to the same URI (rewritten to include the session id) but with different
query parameters. E.g.

<anchor>link 1
<anchor>link 2

In this situation the WAP gateway will compile a string table (you can use the
Nokia WAP toolkit to display a compressed WML stack PDU) which contains the
href only once. You don't have to set a variable or such. However, you still
lose the valuable space at least for one instance of the session ID.

Joerg Henne

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, email:

View raw message