cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Hartle <>
Subject Re: [RT]: Session support
Date Mon, 08 Oct 2001 23:21:12 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>Hi Team,
>I think it's time for a new here we go:
>Cocoon 2 supports session handling. Mainly this is a feature
>supported by the servlet engine and Cocoon simply uses it.
>However, writing real world applications requires a little
>bit more effort than necessary when it comes to url rewriting.
>If your servlet engine uses url rewriting and not cookies,
>every url has to be rewritten. Unfortunately this has to
>be done manually!
>I would like to have it automatically (at least for html)!
>What I thought of is enhancing the html serializer, so that
>he rewrites urls (links etc) if necessary. Unfortunately
>this is not possible, as the serializer does not get the
Regarding session handling via url rewriting, why not consider the
session id to be part of the URI as a directory ? I was in the need of
something similar to such a session, so I used regexp matchers in the
sitemap to handle something like
"<session-id>/login.html" including other
pages and sub-directories than only login, passing on the matched
session id as a parameter. By only using relative links from this point
on, the browser kept the session in the URI when a link is used, and
this technique can be used with what we have now without specific

I guess some may see it as a pain if you set up all pipelines for the
needed pages manually, but this isn't so if you can categorize all pages
in need and use a pipeline with regexp matchers for each category. But
this technique could be perfectly handled by the alternative Tree
Traversal proposal for the sitemap, as far as I followed the discussion,
by basically handling anything below "/session/<session-id>/",
extracting the session-id and always passing it as a parameter no matter
which sub-directories or pages are being requested.

But I think you are generally speaking of an important issue concerning
the general ability to rewrite URLs in a XML-conforming way. I am still
preparing to write a XLinkRewriteTransformer which takes a seperate
configuration file with regexp rewriting rules that will be applied to
all XLink links; a solution like this might prove to be useful in a
number of cases, eg. using Cocoon in conjunction with a content
management system where all the different XML documents stored have
relative URLs that are valid regarding the document repository, but not
necessarily anymore when being modified and published through Cocoon.

Best regards,

Michael Hartle

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, email: