cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AW: [RT]: Session support
Date Mon, 08 Oct 2001 16:52:48 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> > Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> >
> > Carsten,
> >
> > I use the attached CachingStreamPipelineEx and implement
> > SitemapModelComponent in my Serializer. I
> > faced this problem a long time back and no one was willing to get
> > me access to objectModel in my
> > Serializer. Hence the Hack....
> >
> Dims, thanks for your hack - I was just about to start a similar one;
> so I have saved some time!
>
> Yes, I remember the discussions...and I still agree that the
> serializer should not know about the objectModel, but he should
> be able to rewrite urls.
>
> So, we could pass a URLRewriter object into the serializer:
>
> interface URLRewriter {
>     boolean isURLRewritingEnabled();
>     String  rewriteURL(String url);
> }
>
> Any suggestions (or votes!)?

Link rewriting is going to be vital for proper functioning of Cocoon
sites, expecially with the webapp componentization that we are
discussing on the other threads.

I'd be against making the enviornment objects available to serializers
because that would turn them into possible changing points that will
have to be cached as well, while, as today, serializing behavior is
dependent *ONLY* on the input data and if the input data doesn't change,
the output doesn't change as well.

With this in mind, if link translation can be made dependent on the
input only and not by some other side parameters or system variables,
I'm all for adding it to the AbstractSerializer, if not, the solution is
creating a transparent transformer that is automatically added by the
sitemap right before the serializer in a transparent way, so that uses
don't have to specify it in the sitemap (and maybe forget to add it).

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.