cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: RT - Tree Traversal Implementation of Sitemaps and XSP
Date Mon, 08 Oct 2001 13:56:22 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> > As more and more people come on board using version 2, we need to protect
> > the investment people are making in the current sitemap model. At least
> > from the standpoint of providing a seamless transition to what is next, in
> > both functionality and brain power required to understand.
>
> Oh, absolutely. Please, keep in mind that the new behavior that we are
> discussing about tree traversal (thus sitemap interpretation vs.
> compilation) will be *TOTALLY* back compatible and will not change the
> sitemap semantics.
>
> Sorry, I thought this was obvious.

The REAL trick is to get the "CodeFactory" selectors/matchers to work in an
interpretted environment.  We may have to remove the notion of "CodeFactory"
and use real components for Selectors/Matchers.  Hopefully this can be done
without breaking sitemap markup (I think it can).

This really needs to be done sooner than later.

> > I have been enjoying the recent RT threads though. I do appreciate that
> > such discussions take place out in the openness of the dev list. Of course
> > that is what makes open source software so great :)
>
> Yes. Sometimes is frustrating for those who do the unsexy work and would
> rather join but don't have time, but it's the only drawback of such an
> open development and it allows everybody to influence the design making
> it a real product for the people and by the people. (no political pun
> intended, just happened to be a quote from a famous US president).

It's actually a quote from the Preamble to the Consitution of the US. ;)