cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ovidiu Predescu <ovi...@cup.hp.com>
Subject Re: AW: [C2.1] new SOAP logicsheet
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2001 17:54:38 GMT
On Thu, 11 Oct 2001 05:57:59 -0700 (PDT), Davanum Srinivas <dims@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Since "We have to eat our own dog-food". See attached Test.java that
> uses httpClient from Jakarta commons to post the SOAP request and
> gets the output successfully. I'd really appreciate it if you could
> take some time to post a patch for switching to httpClient from
> Jakarta commons.....

Oh, how I hate these licensing issues... I just hate when licensing issues in
the free software/open source world dictate over technical merits. It looks
like Apache is no better than FSF when it comes to licenses :-(

Thanks for the test file. I took a look at httpClient and it appears they've
just released a new version few days ago. Last week when I tried compiling from
CVS, it would not even compile.

OK, below is the patch. It performs suboptimal compared to the version that
uses the LGPLed HTTPClient library. That library does a caching of all the
connections which are opened, so that it can reuse HTTP/1.1 opened connections.
With Jakarta's httpClient this doesn't happen, so I close the connection as
soon after I receive the message. Also HTTPClient is smart about proxies, with
httpClient I need to handle the proxies explicitly, and this works only with
HTTP proxies, no SOCKS.

For your convenience I've appended the commons-httpclient.jar. Please drop it
in the lib/ directory.

Best regards,
--
Ovidiu Predescu <ovidiu@cup.hp.com>