cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ovidiu Predescu <ovi...@cup.hp.com>
Subject Re: [C2.1] new SOAP logicsheet
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2001 21:31:32 GMT
On Wed, 10 Oct 2001 14:01:33 -0700 (PDT), Davanum Srinivas <dims@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks a ton for your contribution. Checked it in. Please cross check.
> - I have added it to the main page too for better visibility.
> - Fixed hard coded /home/ovidiu strings.
> - Fixed imports in URLSource that went bad after the merge.

Oops, sorry about this, I forgot to remove them ;-)

> One Request, If we can get rid of the HTTPClient dependency it will be great!!! Please
take a loo
> at http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/javatips/jw-javatip34.html.

Yes, I know about URL and URLConnection. However they are rather badly
implemented in Sun's JDK. They throw exceptions if the response code
from the server is not "200 OK", and as a result I can't obtain the
SOAP response from the server. The HTTPClient library gives this
ability, plus it provides many more features, like transparent
HTTP/1.1 support, proxies (both HTTP proxy and SOCKS), SSL etc. I
don't want to reinvent the wheel and write them in SOAPHelper again.

I've also looked at the httpClient from Jakarta common's, but it's
still far from being usable. I'll check it out in a few months, and if
I have time work a little bit on it.

BTW, did you incorporate the HTTPClient.jar in CVS?

Thanks,
Ovidiu