cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ovidiu Predescu <ovi...@cup.hp.com>
Subject Re: RT - Tree Traversal Implementation of Sitemaps and XSP
Date Sat, 06 Oct 2001 18:00:14 GMT
On Sat, 06 Oct 2001 14:24:05 +0200, Stefano Mazzocchi <stefano@apache.org> wrote:

> Peter Royal wrote:
>
> > One new feature i'd love to see is the construction of dynamic pipelines. I
> > have a hack for this in my own code right now as a transformer which
> > creates its own mini-pipeline inside of itself.
>
> Even if runtime sitemap tree travesal will make easier to implement
> this, I keep on being against such an approach even if I had the
> temptation myself to use something equivalent.
>
> The reason: it breaks separation of concerns because the sitemap
> administrator and the programmers that generates the code that generates
> the dynamic pipeline must be the same person or must overlap completely.
>
> Also, I've never seen a case where the need for dynamically generated
> pipelines could not be solved with more carefully designed static
> pipelines.
>
> However, if you have any example that proves me wrong, I'll be happy to
> reconsider my position.

This would probably be needed when Cocoon is used in non-traditional
ways. One can use Cocoon to transform arbitrary SOAP messages
(e.g. Cocoon IS the SOAP server), where the decision of how the
pipelines look like is not known until at runtime.

Now one can start thinking of all the possible combinations of
pipeline components, and put them in the static sitemap. But this
would make the sitemap look very ugly, and maybe difficult to pass
SOAP documents between pipelines.

Besides, it would be nice to have this ability for completeness, for
the beauty of the architecture ;-).

Regards,
--
Ovidiu Predescu <ovidiu@cup.hp.com>