cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: XML validation during build docs
Date Tue, 30 Oct 2001 08:11:33 GMT
Carsten wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> I just updated the JaxpParser of 2.1 to be configurable. Currently
> you can turn on validation by specifying the parser in the cocoon.xconf
> and add a parameter: <parameter name="validate" value="true"/> to the
> configuration. This is the good news.

Excellent. I tweaked the documentation/cocoon.xconf
and validation works as expected.

> The bad news is: now all xml documents are validated. Whereas this seems
> great in the first run, you now need a dtd for every document as
> the errorhandler for the parser always throws an exception if
> the document cannot be validated.

I think good news on both fronts. Cocoon needs to be able
to rely on its own config files, documentation, and samples.
Good news because it forces us to create a reliable framework.

> So, we need a dtd for the book.xml documents and this should
> work then for the documentation build.

I have jumped the first validation hurdles by writing quick-and-dirty
internal DTDs for ...
src/org/apache/cocoon/cocoon.roles
src/org/apache/cocoon/sitemap/sitemap.roles
documentation/xdocs/book.xml
... that enabled the validation run to start.

That brought up more issues with other documents that do
not declare their structure, e.g. documentation/svg/header.xml
(Anyway, it is a journey.)

The next issue would be for cocoon.xconf and sitemap.xmap
There is an initial "sitemap.dtd" dated 2001-07-15
I do not know its status.

--David