cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: LinkAlarm for xml.apache.org/cocoon2/
Date Tue, 16 Oct 2001 09:56:22 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> >
> > As part of our company's contribution to the wonderful
> > Apache Cocoon, we are going to pay for automated
> > regular link verification of the website at
> > xml.apache.org/cocoon2/
>
> Uh, that's nice! We should setup a credits page for these sort of
> donations.

Thanks anyway, however we do not need that. I wonder if it is
even appropriate. Many people make contributions in varied ways.
Where is the acknlowdgement line drawn?

> > Of course, it is up to all of cocoon-dev to actually fix
> > the links - IndexGeo will help to identify them.
> > The first report is available at:
> > http://reports.linkalarm.com/209176687132/
>
> Again, this should be written someplace in CVS so we don't forget.

Good idea - i considered BugZilla but rejected it. I think CVS
is appropriate. We actually need more than just to record the
URL for the LinkAlarm report.

We also need to streamline the effort of repairing the breaks.
I propose a simple text table, based on the summary that is
provided by LinkAlarm. In this way, all of cocoon-dev can
patch code and docs to their heart's content, and follow up
with a patch to the "status" column of the text table.

I have added two text files to my working directory ...

documentation/linkalarm-readme.txt
- shows the report URL and explains the format of the following file

documentation/linkalarm-broken.txt
- copied the tab-delimited text file from LinkAlarm
- added a left-hand column for "status"
- added a right-hand column for "comment"
- culled a stack of obviously similar messages
- recorded the status for fixes that Carsten has already done
- after each run following a Release, this file would get replaced

Started with the following status codes ...
 - ... not yet addressed
 F ... fixed
 ? ... has some issue (see the "comment" field)
 [1-3] ... external problem link still broken for n runs (e.g. livesites)

If there are no negative comments, then i will go ahead.

regards, David