cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: cvs commit: xml-cocoon2 LISCENSE.resolver
Date Sun, 14 Oct 2001 06:01:23 GMT
On Sat, 13 Oct 2001 18:10, Jeff Turner wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 02:03:22PM +0200, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> [..]
> > Leo Sutic wrote:
> > > I think the only way to avoid devloving into an IANAL discussion
> > > is to ask Sun. Does any of you have the authority to talk to Sun
> > > on behalf of ASF?
> >
> > I do and I did some days ago: Norman and I are already talking about
> > having Sun donate the resolver.jar code to the ASF. The Apache XML PMC
> > suggested to talk about the integration in a public forum and I was
> > going to start the discussion on the Xerces-J list to know if the
> > community believes it's better to have a separate project for entity
> > resolution or ship it with xerces.
> >
> > Norman like the first solution more (making a different project since it
> > provides more flexibility and componentization even for other
> > parsers/tools), I'm more or less neutral and I'd like to choose the
> > solution that makes it easier for everybody (devs and users) to
> > bootstrap that code.
> [..]
> >
> > So, let's talk about it here to start: assuming the code gets donated,
> > where would you like it to go?
> >
> > The options I see (but maybe you have others) are:
> >
> >  1) integrate with Xerces
> >  2) create another project under Apache XML
>
> I'd prefer a separate project. The catalog code has nothing to do with
> Xerces, and "integrating" it seems to imply breaking parser-neutrality.

Yes, the entity resolver can be set for any parser, so it is outside
any parser project.

> Perhaps there could be an xml-commons, like jakarta-commons, for
> this sort of reusable stuff?
>
> --Jeff

A good idea Jeff. There may well be various XML components
needing a home.

Another option is Avalon Excalibur. That is already up and going,
and that seems to be at the appropriate framework level.
They have already expressed interest (avalon-dev 2001-09).

- David