cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Prante <joergpra...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: AW: [RT]: Session support
Date Mon, 08 Oct 2001 15:05:56 GMT
Hi Carsten,

On Montag,  8. Oktober 2001 11:43, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> In some way it is media dependent, as the media determines the
> format (html, wml etc) and this format specifies what has to be
> encoded.

Yes, but HTML does not know about URL rewriting. You have to fiddle around by
yourself what tags and attributes has to be examined to get your result.
Session tracking is protocol dependant. The server knows how to provide
sessions for the served documents, and how to enrich stateless protocols with
stateful information. So Cocoon must "emulate" a session protocol using html
features like link following and forms.

> The other reason for using the serializer is transparency. You
> don't have to care about url rewriting. Simply build your pipeline
> as usual and Cocoon takes care of when to url rewrite and when not.

Can Cocoon take care of all cases automatically? Hm. I think it's more
complex. A typical scenario is a web application with internal and external
resources which are application specific. Cocoon should be able to select
between internal and external URLs. There may be more types of URLs. Some
links lead to external resources, they shoud not be rewritten at all, while
internal resources might be distributed over the local host, but also other
hosts and/or domains (e.g. load balancing). Cocoon should be configurable to
domains/hosts of the URLs to be rewritten. Just a little bit like cookies can
be adressed.

Jörg